The Adventures of Lauren & Emily

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Sleep training, night #1

Well, we decided why put it off until the weekend, let's get it behind us as soon as possible. I went out and bought a video monitor last night. I knew it was the only way I could keep myself out of her nursery. I don't know how I got by without this thing in the first place, well worth the $100!!!

We changed 2 things last night:
1. Bottlefed instead of nursed
2. Let her cry when she woke up

It seems like she has nursed forever lately (over an hour sometimes) before bed. Then when I finally pull her off, she's wide awake. I've been thinking she either really is napping, or I'm not making enough milk to fill her up and that's why she keeps nursing and when I pull her off, she's agitated b/c she is still hungry. So last night she scarfed down 6 oz of milk (after having had 6 oz and 2 jars of baby food just an hour before!) and was out like a light. I put her in her crib and she didn't wake up. This alone was a vast improvement from what we've been dealing with lately!

8:20 - put her in her crib
8:55 - she woke and started crying. She was crying very hard - coughing and choking at times from crying so hard. :( I just had to turn the monitor sound down low so I could barely hear her and then just watch her. It was horrible but with Matt's support, we stuck it out.
9:25 - finally asleep! (the past few nights we've taken her out of her crib and she's been up past 10 and crying in our arms anyways)
9:30 - awake again but only cried on and off.
9:33 - asleep for the night!!!
7:40 AM - up for the day and happy and smiling like I haven't seen her do in a week!

So, we feel really, really good about the way last night went. We could see the difference in her mood this morning so that was a great pay off. That 30 minutes of crying was very hard to deal with but we just had to keep reminding ourselves that she would be better off in the long run and that we caused this problem by going in to her in the past.

We can only hope that each night will get easier and that she will be back to a great sleep schedule in no time.

A few times in the night we turned on the monitor just to watch her sleep. So sweet!!

Lauren got a package in the mail yesterday. Grammy & Grandpa sent her a toy cell phone since she LOVES to play with the dirty regular phone. She loves her new toy!!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger MareAmi said…

    Marylin's favorite toy is my dirty cell phone too. I'll have to get her one of her own too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home